All Aboard" is the welcome call in the Boiler Room Steak House!
Board our train for delicious, home-cooked “New Appalachian Cuisine” showcasing local flavors, presented in a hearty, fun, and family friendly atmosphere.
We work with local vendors, and use seasonal and sustainable products whenever possible to give you quality food at all times.
Browse the historical prints of Franklin and the history surrounding the TF Railway, watch our model train make its way through the restaurant, and most importantly, relax and enjoy your meal in the Boiler Room Steak House.
The Blue Ridge and Atlantic Railroad was sold under foreclosure in 1897, and the Tallulah Falls Railway was organized the next year to take over its properties. With the financial backing of Southern Railway, the new owners extended the line to Clayton in 1904, to North Carolina in 1906, and to Franklin in 1907. The result was a 57-mile line from Cornelia to Franklin.
Around the time that the railroad was under construction between Clayton and Franklin, the Southern was considering a grander plan, one which would incorporate the TF and several other existing lines into a new route over the Appalachians to Knoxville, Tennessee. If constructed, the railroad would have continued from Franklin down the Little Tennessee River valley to Southern’s Murphy Branch (Asheville-to-Murphy, N.C.) near Almond. From there, trains could proceed a few miles to Bushnell where the Tennessee & Carolina Southern branched off and followed the river 14 miles to Fontana. From Fontana, new tracks would be built alongside the Little Tennessee to Calderwood, where they would join existing lines to Maryville and Knoxville. The plan was never implemented, most likely because the mountainous terrain would require many millions in construction costs.
The TF’s nickname was the Rabun Gap Route. (Although some local people jokingly called it the “Total Failure.”) Passenger service came to an end in 1946. The last freight train ran on March 25, 1961. A short section from Cornelia to Demorest remained in operation for several years longer, but was abandoned sometime before 1985.